Study in the U.S.


Certificate Programs

If you are not currently enrolled at a university, it is possible to apply directly to certificate, diploma courses, or other short-term non-degree programs at U.S. universities. Many of these programs have been designed for working professionals and/or for recent graduates who are looking to enhance their professional credentials in their field of study. Short-term certificate courses are offered in a variety of fields of study, ranging from music and the arts to business and leadership.


Certificate programs provide an opportunity to complete degree-level coursework and have access to university and department facilities, similar to that of degree-seeking students.


As a non-degree seeking student, you are likely to pay similar tuition and fees as full-time, degree-seeking students. Consider investigating external funding bodies and applying for bank loans, or you may wish to consider summer programs which are shorter in length and may be less expensive.


It is possible to search for non-degree or certificate programs using Petersons and other search engines. Applications to non-degree programs may require a transcript, essay, and/or recommendation letter(s). 




If you plan to travel to the U.S., you will need to secure an appropriate visa. The most common visa categories for short-term programs are the F-1 Student Visa and J-1 Student Visa. For more information, please see the page on visas for undergraduate study. Our staff is not trained to handle specific enquiries related to visas in the U.S. For specific enquiries, please refer to the U.S. Embassy New Delhi website (

For any query on U.S. higher education, call us on our EdUSA toll-free hotline 1800-103-1231 between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm (Monday-Friday)